The Holiday Calendar allows you to prevent loans from falling due in holiday breaks or times when your library will not be open to accept returns. The calendar will also allow you to prevent loans taken in the current school year from falling due sometime in the following school year.
control the Due dates at end of year for either ALL users or alternatively set different final Due dates for different year levels and/or Library Groups.
There are two categories of holiday control that can be implemented for loans:
- Manage end-term and mid-term holiday breaks and gazetted/public holidays to allow loans to be due:
- After the respective holiday break, or
- Before the respective holiday break.
- Manage end-of-year holiday breaks to allow loans to be due:
- After the respective end-of-year break, or
- Before the respective end-of-year break.
There are three levels of patron/borrower control that can be implemented to loans:
- Academic Level - selected academic levels can have defined rules applied to all their loans. Note:
- Library Group - selected library groups can have the defined rules applied to all their loans.
- ALL - all academic levels and all library groups can have the same rules applied to all their loans.
Setting the EOY dates for Library Groups and/or Academic levels to create an independent expiry date for a Year level or Library group.
Note: it is essential to reset the calendar dates for the new year to avoid incorrectly set Due dates for the new year. Old EOY dates can seriously impact and restrict loans going forward, so it is important to reset the dates at the end/beginning of year.
Configure > Holiday Calendar :
1. Setting Holiday breaks for End term loans and/or Public Holidays.
Entering the Holiday start and end dates for each End term holiday break allows the Due dates for holiday loans to be directed to the start of the new term. It also allows Public holidays to be passed over and loans to be due after the holiday. This reduces the number of unnecessary overdues. eg.
This Holiday calendar displays 2021 term holiday dates set with loans due AFTER the holiday period for each of three terms for all borrowers. Public Holidays can be included.
EOY holiday borrowing can be loaned to be due when school restarts in the new Academic year.
2. Setting end of year return dates for ALL using the Holiday Calendar
This scenario is generally used to prevent year long loans (365 days) of textbook hire, class sets, teacher reference from spilling into the next year.
Note: These dates must be set before any long term loans are issued in order to be effective.
They cannot take effect retrospectively except by using the Renew, Renew ALL button for each user in Issues, or the Circulation > Bulk process routine to bulk update due dates for groups or Titles. The alternative to setting EOY calendar dates would be to use the Common Due Date to set a Due date and issue/renew loans to that date for a patron or class of patrons.
2. Re-set the end of year return dates after the EOY due date has passed to :
End of year dates can also be reset when using the restrictive calendar above. Although this is tailored to prevent any long term loans spilling into 2022, once the Start dates have been passed, the rules may be revamped for the following EOY and Holiday borrowing rules added for the EOY school holiday in 2021.
Note: when following this pattern, it is important to re-instate the EOY rules for the next year's long term loans before any take place. Ignoring this will have Due dates set incorrectly - either too early or too late.
Re-set the end of year return dates after the EOY due date has passed to setup dates for the end of the coming year and allow loans to take place which will not be forced back to the current year's dates.